Though it has been around for a long time, I recently discovered this devotion and have found it to be very beautiful, powerful, & easy to use (since it is brief).
The chaplet has 33 small beads, divided into 30 for Christ’s hidden life with Mary and Joseph, and 3 for His public life preaching, healing, etc. It has 6 larger beads separating 5 small beads into 5 groups representing Christ’s 5 senses, principally seated in His adorable Face, which we honor and to which we make reparation in this chaplet.
Like St. Veroncia offering her veil to Jesus on the via dolorosa, as an act of tender compassion and reparation, giving Him some kindness and respect amid His constant abuse and torment, with these prayers and meditations, I like to repent of my sins and try to kiss His Heart and His Holy Face.
Our Lord revealed this powerful devotion to the French Discalced Carmelite nun, Sr. Mary of St. Peter in the mid-1800s, “to battle the enemies of God, especially communists.” He asked that she spread the devotion in reparation for the blasphemies against God and the profanation of Sunday. Many Saints had a great devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus, most famously St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face of Lisieux.
Interestingly enough, one of my seminary proffessors, a priest and former exorcist for many years, revealed to us that the “Surge Domine” prayer made the demons flee and scatter more than any other in his experience, especially in Latin, along with a particular title of Our Lord. (You can hear more about that here if you wish: https://corfidelis.com/2022/08/28/powerful-prayers-revealed-by-former-exorcist-priest-that-anyone-can-use-against-temptation-to-put-demons-to-flight/ , and I have also made a tutorial to help with pronunciation and memorization of those and other deliverance prayers here: https://corfidelis.com/2022/12/08/latin-deliverance-prayers-tutorial-powerful-prayers-anyone-can-use-against-evil/ ). Long after he taught us about his experience with the power of that prayer, I came to find out that St. Athanasius, the great bishop, Father, & Doctor of the Church, said the devils hate that prayer more than any other Scripture verse and that it always compelled them to take flight.
Also mentioned in the video is hematidrosis. For more on this and how it can help us meditate on Christ’s Passion, see here: https://corfidelis.com/2020/04/09/hematidrosis-how-modern-science-can-help-us-meditate-on-the-passion-of-christ/ .
9 Promises of Our Lord to Sr. Mary of St. Peter:
- By offering My Face to My Eternal Father, nothing will be refused, and the conversion of many sinners will be obtained.
- By My Holy Face, they will work wonders, appease the anger of God and draw down mercy on sinners.
- All those who honor My Face in a spirit of reparation will by so doing perform the office of the pious Veronica.
- According to the care they take in making reparation to My Face disfigured by blasphemers, so will I take care of their souls which have been disfigured by sin. My Face is the Seal of the Divinity, which has the virtue of reproducing in souls the image of God.
- Those who by words, prayers or writings defend My cause in the Work of Reparation, especially My priests, I will defend before My Father, and will give them My Kingdom.
- As in a kingdom they can procure all that is desired with a coin stamped with the King’s effigy, so in the Kingdom of Heaven they will obtain all they desire with the precious coin of My Holy Face.
- Those who on earth contemplate the wounds of My Face shall in Heaven behold it radiant with glory.
- They will receive in their souls a bright and constant irradiation of My Divinity, that by their likeness to My Face they shall shine with particular splendor in Heaven.
- 1 will defend them, I will preserve them and I assure them of Final Perseverance.
Without further ado, I hope this video helps you, too. It contains the text in English and Latin and the prayers are pronounced in Latin. God bless and oremus pro invicem!